It’s been one week since Evelyn was born and change has come hard and fast! Here’s what I’ve learned in the short time since becoming a mom:
- C-Section recovery is hard. Don’t be brave. Ask for help. Take your pain pills.
- Your support system is everything. Lean on them hard. Side note: We need to do a better job with paternity leave in this country.
- Baby blues are real. Crying is okay. Talk about it. Lean on your support system.
- You won’t immediately fall in love with your postpartum body like all the blogs tell you you will. You’ll be proud of what you have accomplished (breastfeeding is one of the coolest things), but your body isn’t like it was before or even like a cute pregnant person. It’s squishy and wilted. You’ll accept it and maybe get back to where you were one day, but also accept that it will take time.
- If anyone refers to your maternity leave as a vacation, disassociate from them immediately. You don’t need that negativity in your life.
- Good things come in small packages, but you wish those small packages would just sleep for an extra hour or so…
March 20, 2019